Yes, the bear spray works on almost any animals including moose.
If you are a camping enthusiast, there are so many things that you will come across when camping or hunting.
Some are fun, while others are scary and dangerous. Meeting a bear or a moose can be dangerous and scary at the same me.
However, being a sharp person, you have to know how to handle all scenarios best. If you are a regular hunter or you frequently camp, then the best way to have a good experience is to gather information on how to deal with such encounters.
Moose are a bother to many people who camp, hike or go hunting.
Do you know the best way to deal with Moose?
Do you know the best tools to use to scare away Moose?
What is a Bear Spray?
A bear spray is a type of chemical spray that is used to scare away bears. A bear spray is made as an aerosol whose ingredients are specially selected and manufactured in a way they will easily scare away bears with ease.
The ingredient used in bear spray includes capsaicin and capsaicinoids. These are a particular type of components when well manufactured they cause a lot of discomfort to bears hence scaring them away.
Understanding More about Moose
Moose are animals that can be dangerous in many cases. Although many people perceive them as less dangerous as compared to bears, they can quickly attack you in some cases.
However, according to research, moose are generally not aggressive to humans.
In some cases, you can easily scare them, and they end up running away.
Nevertheless, in some cases where they are harassed, then they end up getting aggressive. In most cases, moose are harassed by people, traffic, dogs, getting tired, or being hungry.
This is something well-known to happen more especially when they have to cross the snow. In that case, they can quickly get aggressive on anyone or anything they meet across the way.
Dogs can be a severe bother to moose, especially when they attack or bark at them in a surprise.
At first, many moose will flee away. However, if the dogs or humans continue harassing them, then they respond and become aggressive, which can be dangerous.
Moose Behavior to Attack you
Many people do not understand moose. As a result, they do not know how to detect when one wants to attack. As a result of their calm behaviors, sometimes people may misunderstand or misinterpret their signs, and they end up being attacked.
However, there are sure signs that you have to look for. When you detect raised long hairs on the hump, ears that are laid back and licking of lips then you better take action or stay way since you will be attacked.
Another sign you should look out for is when a moose looks you straight and starts approaching your location slowly.
Many people mistake this for a symbol of peace, but it is not. You are getting a warning that you should keep off or otherwise you will be attacked.
Using a Bear Spray on Moose
Many people do have the right tools but do not know how to use them to scare away certain animals.
For example, when you have decided to use a bear spray, then you have to understand how to use it to remain safe at all time.
- Always make sure that you carry your bear spray in close range whenever you are going camping or hiking. This means that you should place it where it is easy to reach. If you are carrying a camping bag, consider putting it on the side pocket of the backpack where it is reachable.
- You can also place your bear spray on your thigh side bag. It is a precaution that allows you easy reaching of the bear spray in case you come across an aggressive moose in sudden.
- When going camping and you would like to go out alone or far from your camping tent, make sure that you carry the spray with you. You never know when you will meet with a moose.
- Always make sure that you have carried enough number of spray cans. Some people go for extended camping and do not have enough cans to use. Also, ensure that you always check the box to make sure that they have enough content to use in case of an attack.
- Always understand when a moose is about to attack you so that you can use the spray.
- Detect and understanding when a moose is about to attack you. By following the methods discussed above, you will know when a moose is about to attack.
- Take out the spray and shake the can slightly. Shaking a can is important as it allows the gas to work more effectively. The cans work on compressed air. Shaking the can increases the air pressure inside hence increasing its efficiency.
- In case you are suspecting an attack that has not happened yet, spray the content towards the direction of the moose. The content of the spray will reach the moose and scare it away.
- In cases where the moose is already charging towards you, you have to be extra careful when using the spray. Make sure that you are at a safe distance when spraying. Once you spray, it will take a range of between 1.5 to 3 meters before the spray hits the moose based on the brand.
Does it Work?
Bear spray is designed to work on all animals with a mucous membrane in their respiratory system.
As a result, moose falls in the same group. They are affected by the content of the spray, which runs through their breaking system hence making them uncomfortable.
All you have to do is make sure that you have the spray with you at the right time, know when to use it, and understand how to use it.